Friday, November 16, 2007

The Winter Birds



This morning as I was walking along the ornamental iron railing at the edge of the Volodymyrs'ka Hill Park, I noticed that someone had built a small homemade bird feeder and hung it in the branches of one of the overhanging trees. I decided to take a picture, but by the time I had lifted my camera three or four little yellow breasted birds with black and white faces flew into my view and landed near the feeder. I watched with delight for several minutes as they flew in and out the feeder.



A couple of impressions struck me as I watched these little birds. First, I like the idea that there is some soul in Kyiv who has taken private delight in building this little feeder and in coming regularly to put seed or suet under its little roof for the small birds of the woods. I can picture this person, perhaps an older man or woman, who makes his or her daily pilgrimage up the hill with food to replenish the dimished stock. Then perhaps this person sits on one of the long park benches facing the railing and watches for the little vagabonds of the air to come for dinner. This unknown bird lover is emblematic of many people I have known in my life, who take private delight in blessing the lives of others. Such persons usually act anonymously and without fanfare. They are outwardly and not inwardly directed. You wouldn't always recognize them on the street, but in their pockets they carry the inexhaustible sustenance that they love to share with those with deep hunger.



Second, it also occurs to me that these little birds flitting about this humble little feeding station are symbolic of the people of Ukraine itself--a people who have endured a long winter of adversity and oppression and tyranny. And now, though the snows may still partially cover the ground, the beautiful birds are still alive and joyful and vibrant, needing only the food of democratic freedom to thrive in their hilltop paradise. In this sense, I am bringing a few kernels of seed to the feeder. May the bright colored birds survive and thrive to enjoy the glorious return of a new Spring.

No comments: