Friday, November 16, 2007

My New Judicial Bulava




Before coming to Ukraine I had in mind bringing home some antique, or replica of something old, which I could display in my judicial chambers in the courthouse. Hence, a few days ago I visited a Russian antique vendor in a tiny underground shop near the Lva Tolstovo Metro station to try to buy an old statue. Today while browsing in the Andresyky Spusk I found just the thing--a replica of an ancient bulava ("булава" in both Russian and Ukrainian). A bulava is a ceremonial mace or baton carried by an officer of the highest military rank, and hence is a symbol of power and authority. It's historical use extends to all of the Slavic nations, but especially in Ukraine. Hence, when Ukrainian President Viktor Yuschchenko was being sworn into office he held a bulava in his right hand. My new bulava is about twenty inches long, and feels very substantial as I heft it in my hand. It has a richly carved handle, two large Ukrainian coats of arms on two sides of a block, and Kyivian crest on the other two, and a massive, bulbous head with at least nineteen spikes. It is a formidable looking thing. (I now remember that our young friend who had served an LDS mission in Donetsk told us that he brought a bulava home from Ukraine as well.) I intend to hang it up in my judicial chambers as a wonderful memento of my Ukrainian journey. (Note: It could also double as a backup defensive weapon--four or five years ago I was with a group of judges being trained by a security expert, who told us that if all else fails, we could strike an attacker from the bench with our gavels, right between the eyes.)

No comments: