Sunday, November 11, 2007

Inside Krasnoarmeyskaya 23A






The apartment on Krasnoarmeyskaya 23A (sometimes also called Lva Tolstovo Plazha by some locals) is a four story apartment building. The apartment, No. 33, is on the top floor and includes a living room, bedroom, bathroom, separate toilet, and kitchen. The ceilings are high and very ornate. I don't know how old the building is--I think I first presumed an age of 75 to a hundred years. However, today I noticed that some workman had laid year numbers in small stone fragments set in cement on one of the landings--1961 if I remember correctly. So this may just be a Soviet-era apartment building of fairly recent vintage.


Here are the pros and cons of this apartment.


I'll give the bad news first. Ironically, my main difficulty with the apartment is the temperature. Who would have thought, given that it is below freezing outside. It is so hot, with the heat waves just rolling off of those Soviet-era radiators into the room. Even with the high ceilings, it is very hot. I have slept very well without any covers since my arrival, and a few times I have arisen in the night to step out onto the balcony for a few minutes or to open a window briefly to cool down. For example, as I have been sitting here in the living room writing this, I have opened the window twice, even though it has been snowing outside, to cool the room down a little.


The good news. The location of this apartment is amazing. It overlooks one of the main subway stations, with fast connections to virtually any point in the city. It is also close to shopping, sightseeing, etc.


Enjoy the house tour!

No comments: