Saturday, November 17, 2007

Open and Closed Doors






I was struck by the beautiful doors in Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. Golden doors leading into churches, cathedrals, temples. Doors into ancient dwelling places. Doors in walls. Doors open and closed. Many of the doors I saw are of obvious antiquity--massive, heavy timbered, studded with iron bushings, with wide iron bolts and hinges. Most of the doors I saw were locked shut. Only certain of the doors were open to visitors.


On many of these very ancient doors I have seen these flimsy little padlocks of modern make. It is almost laughable to see a "ninety-nine cent" lock from the hardware store on a monastic cell door dating back to the twelfth century.


The shut doors for Ukraine are of very ancient date. Many doors are still shut, bolted, barred. In the past fifteen years, many an iron door has swung noisily open, groaning on rusted hinges long disused. Locks have been broken. Cheap and inconsequential locks of the present. May the doors open. May the chains fall may the prisoners go free. That--and more--is my hope as I continue my small service here in this sacred nation.

No comments: