Saturday, November 17, 2007

I Receive an Angel's Reward


Near the main entrance to Lavra's Grand Church there was a little old woman sitting, huddled in modest clothing holding a small paper cup, begging. It was an interesting contrast to see her rags juxtaposed against those beautiful golden doors of the restored Dormition Cathedral. I have no doubt that there are beggars in Kyiv whose activities are questionable, as there are in every society. But I have always been of the opinion that one should never "allow the beggar to raise his petition to you in vain," and so I dropped a small bill into her cup. I then quoted to her one of a handful of Russian scriptures that I have memorized: "да благословит тебя Господь и сохранит тебя!" ("The Lord bless thee and keep thee!"--Numbers 6:24). She burst into tears, and, sobbing, reached for my left gloved hand and kissed it.
Mine was an angel's portion then.

No comments: