Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thoughts About Packing



I imagined that packing to go home would be a breeze, since I had brought an entire suitcase full of gifts for the law students. This suitcase is now entirely empty. However, last night and today I began to think of all of the things I intend to take home, including many gifts for my family. I decided to make an attempt to put everything in this suitcase. I gathered together everything and began filling the suitcase, finding to my delight that everything fit in, albeit somewhat tightly. Then I realized that I had not even put a single book in the suitcase.


Now I am exploring other options, such as loading two computer keyboards in my carry-on hanger bag, holding my largest book in my hands (a one volume set of Tolkien in Russian), and fitting a few books in my briefcase.
Fortunately, the most valuable possessions I take home--my friendships, my memories and the written descriptions of my trip--do not occupy any space in my luggage. All of my luggage could be lost enroute home, and I would still retain forever the most precious gifts from Ukraine, to treasure and cherish forever.

No comments: