Monday, November 19, 2007

Food for the Weary Traveler


It took me several days to fall into a rhythm of working and eating which was satisfactory. For the first seveal days after my arrival, I attempted to buy groceries to prepare and eat in the apartment. This was time consuming and awkward, especially since the nearest grocery store is a couple of blocks away. Early on, I also visited McDonalds a couple of times, which is directly across the street from the apartment. This also had great drawbacks, not the least of which is the cultural irony of traveling ten thousand miles from America to one of the great cities of eastern Europe--to eat American food. And, of course, on at least two days a week I would eat at University cafeterias while we are teaching, and Olga has invited me to eat with her a few times (although walking to and from her apartment can be very time consuming.)
In the last seveal days I have fallen into a new, economical and time-saving rhythm of eating Ukrainian food prepared in any number of inexpensive cafeteria style establishments. Here you can buy borsht, shashlik and a wide variety of authentic dishes for a few hyrvnia. I have located a number of these establishments, including one only a block or so from my apartment. I usually visit these establisments twice a day.
I then supplement my daily dining with eating fruit for breakfast--oranges, etc. These can be purchased at a number of street locations, including an excellent fruit stand located on the near corner of Taras Shevchenko park.

No comments: