Monday, November 19, 2007

A "Reasonable American"



On Sunday night I was invited to dinner at the home of Olga Kupriyevych, the director of the Leavitt Foundation's on-the-ground efforts in Kyiv. Also present was her three year old grandson, Nestor. I took gift books both the Olga and to Nestor, who seemed very anxious to talk to me, and came several times into the living room to invite me to come into the sitting room to talk to him--in Russian, of course, as he knows no English. Actually, I found that I conversed better with Nestor than with anyone else I have spoken to in Russian during my visit.(I guess that is about my level--three year old conversation).


Today Olga told me that Nestor had really enjoyed my visit. He told her that he was very impressed that (unlike the other Judges who have been here this fall) I speak Russian, and that I therefore was "a reasonable American."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan

do not be upset.

Your level of Russian is much higher as Nestor is too talkative for his age :-)

Nestor's mother