Saturday, November 24, 2007

Journey Home: The Apartment to Borispol Airport



I arose early this morning to complete my packing, close out the apartment and prepare for the trip home. Olga Kupriyevych arrived a few minutes after eight to tell me goodbye. The apartment manager, Evgeniy, arrived at 8:30 and I was off to the Borispol Airport. It was a cold, foggy morning in Kyiv with the trees appearing like ghosts on the side of the motorway. I had a nice talk with Evgeniy of the drive. He is age twenty-six, married, with two children. He has abandoned a career as a teacher to pursue the real estate business, as he found that he was unable to adequately support his family with teaching.


At the airport I checked in at the Delta counter, went through passport control and customs, and sat down for a long wait of about two hours in the terminal. An hour before takeoff, the passengers on my flight to New York were lead as a group through screening, and I finally boarded the Delta 737 at about noon. This time, the plane was able to come directly to the gate, and I did not have to be transported by bus between the terminal and the plane on the tarmac. We took off at 12:30 and I left Ukrainian soil behind in the fog.

No comments: