Thursday, November 22, 2007

The "Baptizer" in Sunlight






This morning I paid another visit to the great monument to Prince Volodymyr the Great in the beautiful Hill Park bearing his name. To me this is the most special and sacred ground in the City, as I have an indescribable feeling come over me as I walk in this area. There is a peace, a tranquility, an awe that permeates this amazing monument. This monument is a survivor and a transmitter. It has survived the last years of Tsarist Rule, and the entire dark era of the Soviet Union. It is the largest religious monument to have survived the depradations and desecrations of Stalin. It is also a transmitter of the most ancient history and traditions of Ukraine, dating back a thousand years and more. This stark, awesome monument epitomizes Kyiv and all that the city means to me.

No comments: