Saturday, March 6, 2010

Street Musicians

This afternoon I spent a few hours in Book Heaven-the little book district near the Arsenalna Metro station, which I stumbled upon in 2007. On my way to and from Arsenalna by way of Kreshchatik and Maidan, I saw quite a number of street musicians performing on accordians, guitars and (I think) a bandura. These hardy souls were plying their wares in Metro stations, tunnels or underground shopping districts. I include a few videos below.

One of these street players--a woman--was playing a most interesting stringed instrument--I am almost sure it was a bandura, a Ukrainian folk instrument of from 20 to 24 strings. She played with great skill, and then stopped playing to ask if I wanted to buy her CD.

I saw two of these musicians (here and here) playing in the same locations in 2007, which means that there are at least a few troubadours who can scrape by on the coins and small bills given to them by appreciative passers-by.

This gives me hope--if even a handful of street minstrels can make their way in Kyiv, then surely I should be able to live my dreams anywhere in the wide world.







No comments: