Thursday, March 4, 2010

Trukhaniv Island






This morning I ran about six miles to and from Труханів острів (Trukhaniv Island). I first ran a couple of "Baptizer Laps" up in the area of St. Michaels and the Volydymrska Hill Park, then ran down the hill past the Catholic Church and the Museum of Art, through the underground tunnel at the end of Kreshchatik, and down the hill towards the Poshtova Ploshcha. (Are you with me so far?). From there I ran along the path adjacent to the railroad tracks towards the foot bridge leading across the Dnipro River to Trukhaniv Island. I found this, and ran for a mile or two on the island, then returned.

The views from the footbridge are glorious--the attached pictures really don't capture the vividness and excitement of the river with church domes, boats and the sky reflected in the still icy waters. I enclose one picture looking back toward Volodymyr's Hill, showing St. Michael's on one side and the grim statue of the Baptizer in the center.

It was snowing lightly when I began, but amazingly the clouds completely vanished and the blue sky appeared in all its glory as I reascended the hill towards my apartment. I enclose a shot of St. Michaels in all the effulgence of a snowy morning!

1 comment:

Julie G. Gibbons said...

The pictures are beautiful, and we love reading about everything you're doing! Way to keep up the running! We sure miss you around here! I love you!