Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Back from Kharkiv to Kyiv



Today I taught a lecture on direct examination to the two Kharkiv classes. The last class ended at about 4:00, and Tetiana and I then dashed to the train station and boarded for the return trip to Kyiv. Below see an outside shot of the amazing palace-like train station in Kharkiv. For the benefit of my grandson, who loves trains, I also include a picture of the train we rode back to Kyiv tonight.

Unlike Monday, today's ride was mostly in the dark. I met another memorable personality on the train--a big, voluble and gregarious man named Slava, We chatted about Ukraine, Russia, America, Salt Lake City, Utah, etc. while he proceeded to lay out his dinner on the little drop down table before him. Oh my--a loaf of bread, a liter or two of apple juice, another liter or two of some alcoholic beverage, an entire can of olives, and two huge containers of ham--these were topped off by sunflower seeds, more drinks, and a couple of rounds of tea delivered by the uniformed functionaries in clear glass cups held by intricately wrought silver drink holders. I think it took him two and a half hours to finish eating.

I later fell asleep during the return trip, and awoke just before we reached Kyiv at about 10:15 p.m. Tomorrow we teach at the Taras Shevchenko University and the National Aviation University.

1 comment:

Brooke S. said...

It's so wonderful to read about your experiences in Kyiv - see you soon!