Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Russian Church of the Ascension












Near the summit of the Mount of Olives is the Russian Church of the Ascension, which is a convent of the Russian Orthodox Church. We had a great deal of difficulty finding this site in the confusing maze of narrow streets in the very poor Muslim neighborhood. We could see the lofty bell tower of the convent, but were unable to find a way in. Eventually, after a diligent search and Max asking for directions we found a high gate down a narrow alley. I rang the bell and a man opened up and peered out. In Russian I asked him if we could visit the convent. He said, “No, it is closed.” He then paused and said, “What day is it?” “Tuesday,” I said. “And what time is it?” “10:00,” I said. He then looked puzzled and opened the door with alacrity, “Okay,” he said, “Come in.”

Inside we found a virtual paradise, with a grove of maturing olive trees, many flower gardens, rock walls, and a very peaceful little haven for the nuns. We visited the main Church of the Ascension, as well as the little refectory chapel which preserves the supposed stones where it is claimed the Savior ascended to heaven. I asked if we could climb the bell tower, but was told no.

While in a little grove trees near a majestic overlook of the City of Jerusalem, Max and I took the opportunity of offering a simple religious rite connected with our Church, with Brooke witnessing. Because of the great serenity of this place, my visit to the Church of the Ascension must stand as one of the highpoints of my visit to the Holy Land.

No comments: