Thursday, November 8, 2007

Money Worries

I have been told that travelers cheques are useless in Ukraine, because no one will cash them; and credit cards are risky, because everyone can steal them (or at least steal the data). Hence, I am traveling today with cash.

A few weeks ago I bought a hidden money and passport belt or pouch at Shapiro's, a local travel store. It is an ingenious little device which attaches to your belt, but is secured inside your trousers on the side. Here I have my cash, passport, other identification, insurance information and (for emergencies only) a major credit card. I have practiced using my money belt exactly once. It is a little awkward--especially when you need to get your passport out in a hurry; people may do a double take at this guy reaching down into his pants for something--but it works. Of course, I will make sure that I attach the thing to my belt loops. Otherwise, I have visions of dropping the whole enchilada on the concourse floor, while I walk away obliviously with my luggage.
I understand that there are a plethora of money changers in the City where I can turn my American cash into the local Hryvnia. One of my fellow judges, who taught in Kyiv in September, tells me that there is a kiosk just a half a block from the apartment where he went every day or two to convert money.

Based also upon advice I have been given, I will carry a small wallet in which I will put only a small amount of Hryvnia bills. This I will use to purchase meals, souvenirs, books, etc. That way I won't have to fumble to pull my money belt or pouch out of my pants, thus broadcasting to the world that here is some idiot carrying a HUGE wad of cash around Kyiv.

One of my worries has to do with the condition of my American currency. When I went to my local bank here in America a few days ago, I asked for fifties and hundreds. Since then, I have been told that the Ukrainian money changers only like to change the NEW fifties, and eschew the old ones. Late last night I inspected my fifties, and found that most of them are the old issue. I hope that I will be able to use them.

No comments: